AN ANNOTATED LIST OF LEPIDOPTERA KNOWN FROM THE FAROE ISLANDS
served on Sandoy and Nólsoy. San: Sandur, seven
from 9VJII-4.IX.1990, one 8-15.VIII. 1992, one
13-27.VIII.1995(NM). Søltuvík, one 29.VIII.
1992 (LT/PK). Nólsoy: Bygdin, one 29-30.VIII.
(6) Coleophora serratella:TrsnúerA colonist with
only one Faroe record. Tórshavn, a few larvae on
birch shrubs in the Gundadal plantation in July
1984, from which one imago later emerged. The
birches, Betula papyrifera var. kenaica were intro-
duced from Alaska via Denmark and planted there
in 1982 (Koponen, 1984). Later searches in 1990
and 1994 one the same trees have been without re-
(7) Coleophora versurella: Probably resident. Kunoy,
a female 19.VII-2.VIII. 1997 (NM), see also
Kaaber et al, (in press).
(8) Coleophora glaucicolella. Probably native. Vid:
Dalur, a female 7.VII.1997 (SK). See also Kaaber
et al, (inpress).
(9) Scrobipalpa samadensis.Resident. Records from
Suðuroy, Sandoy and South Streymoy. Sud:Sum-
ba several 9.VII.1987 (SK), Akrabergsvitin one
10-20.VII.1991(NM). Sandoy: dunes at Sandur,
common 8VII.1991 and 22.VII.1992 (SK,PG).
Streymoy: Hoyvfk, one 12-21.VII. 1992 (NM).
(10) Acleris comariana: Casual introduction. Sud:
Tvøroyri, several larvae among spun leaves on im-
ported Danish Fragaria plants 7.VII. 1993, from
which one was reared (SK).
(11) Acleris sparsana. Probably naturalized resident.
Kunoy, a female 24-31.VIII.1997. See also Kaaber
et al, (inpress).
(12) Acleris maccana: Probably vagrant.One record
only. Str: Hoyvík, a male in a light trap 3-10.11.
(13) Acleris aspersana: Native with only two local pop-
ulations known. Vid: Dalur common 31.VII. 1992
(PG.SK), common 19.VIII, larvae in spun leaves
of Potentilla erecta 7.VIII. 1996 (SK). Sud:
Øravfk common 2.IX. 1992 (Trolle, L. and Ketil, P.
(14) Epinotia caprana: Probably resident. San: Sandur
a male in a light trap 18-27.VIII.1990 (NM). Sud:
Trongisvágur, a female in a light trap 16-23.1996
(15) Dioryctria abietella. Vagrant. Two light trap
records from San: Sandur one male 27VII-3.VIII.
1991 (NM). Nólsoy one female 31. VIII-
1.VIII. 1994 (NM).
(16) Plodia interpunctella: Casual introduction. Recor-
ded three times during 1986-92 from imported
foods in Tórshavn (Bloch and Mourier, 1994).
(17) Udea lutealis. Probably resident. Only recorded
from Fugloy, Kirkja three males in a light trap 8-
18.VIII.1997 (NM). See Kaabereía/., (inpress).
(18) Margaritia sticticalisVagrant. First observed in
1996. Sud: Trongisvágur one in a light trap 17.VII-
10.VIII (NM), Kunoy one in a light trap 10.-
28.VIII (NM). In 1997 again on Kunoy, one in a
lighttrap 18.-24.VIII (NM).
(19) Nomophila noctuella. Migrant. First observed in
1995. Nólsoy, two in a light trap 11.- 18.IX(NM).
In 1996 numerous specimens invaded the Faroe
isles in August and early September, as the species
was prevalent on Suðuroy, Sandoy, Nólsoy,
Streymoy and also found on Eysturoy and Vágar.
A light trap at Sud:Trongisvágur caught 412 spec-
imens in that period. See Kaaber (1997).
(20) Stenoptilia bipunctidactyla. Status uncertain, pro-
bably resident. Vag: Miðvágur one male in a light
trap 26.-31.VII. 1997 (NM). See Kaaber et al, (in
(21) Hyles galii. Vagrant. First recorded from Nólsoy,
one caught during daytime in July 1973 and given
to Mr. Niels á Botni (coll.ZMUC). In 1996 anoth-
er specimen was seen on Viðoy at Dalur on August
5, but it escaped capture (Kaaber, 1997).
(22) Colias crocea.Vagrant. BonKlaksvík, a specimen
observed in early June 1992 during a period with
strong migrational activity (Kaaber et al., 1994).
(23) Pieris brassicae.Vagrant. Two specimens ob-
served on Sud:Tvøroyri and Str: Tórshavn during
June 1992 in a period with strong migrational ac-
tivity (Kaaber etal, 1994).
(24) Pieris rapae. Casuál introduction. Str: Tórshavn, a
female found indoors in August 1992 (Kaaber et
al, 1992). Two further specimens which were
probably introduced in the larval stage were found
indoors on Eysturoy, Kambsdal 17.1. 1996 (coll.
J.K.Jensen, Nólsoy) and on Vag: Sandavágur
(25) Inachis io. Migrant. A distinct migration was ob-
served in June 1992, and later on a larva was found
in Str: Haldarsvík (Kaaber et al, 1994). Another
migration obviously occurred in late summer
1994, as three hibernating specimens in the au-
tumn were found indoors in Tórshavn and sent to
FN. See also (26) Aglais urticae.
(26) Aglais urticae. Casual migrant. A migrating spec-
imen was observed in June 1992 (Kaaber et al,
1994): Two further speciens were found in late