Árdís - 01.01.1953, Page 71

Árdís - 01.01.1953, Page 71
Ársrit Bandalags lúterskra kvenna 69 miles to the south of Riverton is a small Hungarian settlement. To the west are the thriving farming communities of Ledwyn and Shorncliffe. North of Howardville a new road has opened up promising lands near Washow Bay. Here a group of Mennonite people call their colony Mennville. The Big Island community is now linked to the mainland by ferry. Around Riverton and in its neighbouring communities the soil is fertile and grain yields are heavy but most farmers wisely still keep to mixed farming. Some combine fishing and farming. The “bull-dozers” clear as much of bush land in a few days as the first pioneers, with back-breaking work, could do in years. But the voice of the old-timer says to the eager young farmer, “Be careful, young man! Leave some of the trees.” For trees conserve moisture, and will save the soil from being blown away if drought years come. In addition to rich soil, sheltering woods and lake fisheries, a most valuable asset so often taken for granted is the pure, ice-cold water of the never-failing flowing wells. The water continues to flow although the pipes may rust away; it should be possible to develop a non-rusting material for them in this age of inventions. The fishing industry faces a new era of development with better organization and modern equipment and transportation. Faster boats speed the Lake Winnipeg catch to market. The Riverton Airways planes often make two 700 mile trips a day to bring in the catch from Island Lake and other lakes to the east and north-east. Next to farming and fishing, the lumber industry and boat- building have been of prime importance. When the first families arrived in 1875, a saw-mill, owned by men from Selkirk, was already in operation in Big Island. In order to obtain enough lumber for their needs, the colonists saw that they would have to build their own, and, as usual, the one to initiate the undertaking was Sigtryggur Jonasson. The ruins of one of these first mills can be seen across the lake at Bad Throat River. A letter from Fljotsbygd in Gimli’s newspaper, “Leifur”, Sept. 30, 1884, states that the mill belonging to Jonasson, Fridrikson and Walkley had just completed its season’s work, sawing 21,000 logs into lumber. Twenty to thirty men had been employed. The same company was also building a boat that cost $22,000 and was called the “Aurora” in honor of Mr. Fridrikson’s daughter. In 1880, Fridriksson and Jonasson had bought the steam- boat “Victoria” and built barges on which they transported lumber
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10
Page 11
Page 12
Page 13
Page 14
Page 15
Page 16
Page 17
Page 18
Page 19
Page 20
Page 21
Page 22
Page 23
Page 24
Page 25
Page 26
Page 27
Page 28
Page 29
Page 30
Page 31
Page 32
Page 33
Page 34
Page 35
Page 36
Page 37
Page 38
Page 39
Page 40
Page 41
Page 42
Page 43
Page 44
Page 45
Page 46
Page 47
Page 48
Page 49
Page 50
Page 51
Page 52
Page 53
Page 54
Page 55
Page 56
Page 57
Page 58
Page 59
Page 60
Page 61
Page 62
Page 63
Page 64
Page 65
Page 66
Page 67
Page 68
Page 69
Page 70
Page 71
Page 72
Page 73
Page 74
Page 75
Page 76
Page 77
Page 78
Page 79
Page 80
Page 81
Page 82
Page 83
Page 84
Page 85
Page 86
Page 87
Page 88
Page 89
Page 90
Page 91
Page 92
Page 93
Page 94
Page 95
Page 96
Page 97
Page 98
Page 99
Page 100
Page 101
Page 102
Page 103
Page 104
Page 105
Page 106
Page 107
Page 108
Page 109
Page 110
Page 111
Page 112
Page 113
Page 114
Page 115
Page 116
Page 117
Page 118
Page 119
Page 120
Page 121
Page 122
Page 123
Page 124
Page 125
Page 126
Page 127
Page 128
Page 129
Page 130
Page 131
Page 132

x

Árdís

Direct Links

If you want to link to this newspaper/magazine, please use these links:

Link to this newspaper/magazine: Árdís
https://timarit.is/publication/755

Link to this issue:

Link to this page:

Link to this article:

Please do not link directly to images or PDFs on Timarit.is as such URLs may change without warning. Please use the URLs provided above for linking to the website.