Archaeologia Islandica - 01.01.2005, Blaðsíða 72

Archaeologia Islandica - 01.01.2005, Blaðsíða 72
James Taylor, Guðrún Alda Gísladóttir, Andrea Harðardóttir and Gavin Lucas 1984:31). In the 17th century Eyri becomes famous as being the residence of the priest Jón Magnússon who accused two men from a nearby farm for witch- craft and had them bumed. Those dra- matic events are described by Jón him- self in his biography (Magnússon 2001). In the 18th century a trading sta- tion was established in Skutulsíjöróiir and the importance of the area increased even though the trading houses were not con- nected to the farm itself. The land was bought from the farm shortly after the trading center received its license in 1786 (Ólafsson 1965:30). In 1782 the church in Eyri was destroyed in a storm but shortly afterwards a new one was built. That church was not big enough for the growing congregation and in 1858 a new church was constmcted (Þór 1984:236- 7). The current church in ísafjörður is a large concrete building dating to 1995 and lies over the foundations of the older church (BB 1995:8). The town of Isafjörður was for- mally establised in 1866 and though the farm and the church were situated within the town, they were not part of its prop- erty (Þór 1984:252). In 1872 the town formally bought the farm and soon after that, probably in 1874 (Ólafsson 1966:211-12), the farm was finally aban- doned and tom down. The timber from the old farmhouse was reused in other houses in the town (Ólafsson 1965:47) but these houses have recently been tom down too. The mins were left untouched until 1925 when building of a hospital, located in the old homefield, com- menced. Stones from the mins were used for all kinds of purposes but after con- struction work fmished, the mins were flattened and grassed over (Magnússon 1965:42). In 1974 a memorial dedicated to drowned fishermen was raised in the old homefield of Eyri. When the trench for the foundation was dug, a lot of ani- mal bones, peat ash and glass was found. It was thought to be the farm’s midden (Pétursson 2003), which subsequent investigation verified. It is remarkable that the area has never been built over during the growth of the town of Isafjörður. Town people say that the rea- son is probably how valuable grass land is in the area and the old homefield was used to make hay until late in the 20th century. The Site The old farm site sits on a gentle slope which is dropping from ca. 3 m above sea level on the northeastem side to ca. 2.1 m above sea level to the southwest. The study area is primarily within the limits of the landscaped grass gardens sur- rounding the old hospital. Some foot- paths cross the area and a playground is situated at the northeastem limit. The vis- ible remains include two adjacent sub- rectangular mounds orientated northeast- southwest. The largest mound, to the northwest, has a visible extent of some 51 m long and 21 m wide. The highest part of this mound is 4.1 m above sea level, dropping to approximately 3.1 m at its southwestem limit. The surface of the mound has a number of clear depressions and raised linear features, which subse- quently corresponded to structural remains below the surface. The south- eastem mound has significantly smaller visible extents, due partly to apparent truncation at the east by both a public footpath and a cemetery, and to the southeast by a statue base. The surviving limits measure some 25 m long by 11 m wide. The highest point on this mound is 70
Blaðsíða 1
Blaðsíða 2
Blaðsíða 3
Blaðsíða 4
Blaðsíða 5
Blaðsíða 6
Blaðsíða 7
Blaðsíða 8
Blaðsíða 9
Blaðsíða 10
Blaðsíða 11
Blaðsíða 12
Blaðsíða 13
Blaðsíða 14
Blaðsíða 15
Blaðsíða 16
Blaðsíða 17
Blaðsíða 18
Blaðsíða 19
Blaðsíða 20
Blaðsíða 21
Blaðsíða 22
Blaðsíða 23
Blaðsíða 24
Blaðsíða 25
Blaðsíða 26
Blaðsíða 27
Blaðsíða 28
Blaðsíða 29
Blaðsíða 30
Blaðsíða 31
Blaðsíða 32
Blaðsíða 33
Blaðsíða 34
Blaðsíða 35
Blaðsíða 36
Blaðsíða 37
Blaðsíða 38
Blaðsíða 39
Blaðsíða 40
Blaðsíða 41
Blaðsíða 42
Blaðsíða 43
Blaðsíða 44
Blaðsíða 45
Blaðsíða 46
Blaðsíða 47
Blaðsíða 48
Blaðsíða 49
Blaðsíða 50
Blaðsíða 51
Blaðsíða 52
Blaðsíða 53
Blaðsíða 54
Blaðsíða 55
Blaðsíða 56
Blaðsíða 57
Blaðsíða 58
Blaðsíða 59
Blaðsíða 60
Blaðsíða 61
Blaðsíða 62
Blaðsíða 63
Blaðsíða 64
Blaðsíða 65
Blaðsíða 66
Blaðsíða 67
Blaðsíða 68
Blaðsíða 69
Blaðsíða 70
Blaðsíða 71
Blaðsíða 72
Blaðsíða 73
Blaðsíða 74
Blaðsíða 75
Blaðsíða 76
Blaðsíða 77
Blaðsíða 78
Blaðsíða 79
Blaðsíða 80
Blaðsíða 81
Blaðsíða 82
Blaðsíða 83
Blaðsíða 84
Blaðsíða 85
Blaðsíða 86
Blaðsíða 87
Blaðsíða 88
Blaðsíða 89
Blaðsíða 90
Blaðsíða 91
Blaðsíða 92
Blaðsíða 93
Blaðsíða 94
Blaðsíða 95
Blaðsíða 96
Blaðsíða 97
Blaðsíða 98
Blaðsíða 99
Blaðsíða 100
Blaðsíða 101
Blaðsíða 102
Blaðsíða 103
Blaðsíða 104
Blaðsíða 105
Blaðsíða 106
Blaðsíða 107
Blaðsíða 108
Blaðsíða 109
Blaðsíða 110
Blaðsíða 111
Blaðsíða 112
Blaðsíða 113
Blaðsíða 114
Blaðsíða 115
Blaðsíða 116
Blaðsíða 117
Blaðsíða 118
Blaðsíða 119
Blaðsíða 120
Blaðsíða 121
Blaðsíða 122
Blaðsíða 123
Blaðsíða 124
Blaðsíða 125
Blaðsíða 126

x

Archaeologia Islandica

Beinir tenglar

Ef þú vilt tengja á þennan titil, vinsamlegast notaðu þessa tengla:

Tengja á þennan titil: Archaeologia Islandica
https://timarit.is/publication/1160

Tengja á þetta tölublað:

Tengja á þessa síðu:

Tengja á þessa grein:

Vinsamlegast ekki tengja beint á myndir eða PDF skjöl á Tímarit.is þar sem slíkar slóðir geta breyst án fyrirvara. Notið slóðirnar hér fyrir ofan til að tengja á vefinn.